Screenshot of a dragon, Nestor, from the first game, Spyro the Dragon
|First appearance||Spyro the Dragon (1998)|
|Latest appearance||Spyro Reignited Trilogy (2019)|
Dragons are a recurring species in the Spyro franchise. The main and titular protagonist, Spyro the Dragon, is a dragon. They are one of the most prominent species in the series. The dragons inhabit the Dragon Worlds, and in some games, the main plot involves Spyro having to save the dragons or their homeworld. Dragons have the same abilities as traditional dragons, such flight and breathing fire, although some dragons are capable of using magic. Some games, such as Spyro: Season of Ice, feature Spyro as the only dragon, and the main plot is not focused on dragons.
Spyro the Dragon
In the first game, Spyro the Dragon, Gnasty Gnorc has turned all the dragons into statues, and Spyro must rescue them. He can free a dragon from its statue by touching it. A dragon, upon being freed, usually provides advice to Spyro, although some just thank him for releasing them. There are five families of dragons, each living in a specific and titular Home World:
- Artisans: They fill the Dragon Worlds with artifacts of culture and beauty. They write songs, create sculptures and paintings, and are the most peaceful of the dragon families. Artisans are very social, and they enjoy getting together for group singing and art viewings among the lush, rolling hills and green valleys of their home.
- Peace Keepers: A large family of dragons who are always on the lookout for enemies wanting to disrupt peace in the Dragon Worlds. The Peace Keepers live in the desert sand dunes, tar pits, and ice caves.
- Magic Crafters: They spend their time creating magical artifacts for all the dragons. The Magic Crafters are very thin, shy dragons who wish to be left alone. They can be very happy in their remote mountaintops, ice cliffs and caves, studying their craft in peace.
- Beast Makers: As their name suggests, Beast Makers create the creatures of the Dragon Worlds. Beast Makers live in swamps, tumble-down wood platforms, on stilts in the mud flats, and in hollowed-out trees in the thick forests. This is where Beast Makers find natural clay, roots, and other materials to do their work.
- Dream Weavers: They are dragons who live on an island in the sky, and their role is to protect the dragons and other creatures from getting nightmares.
Spyro: Year of the Dragon
In Spyro: Year of the Dragon, Bianca steals all of the Dragon Eggs from the Dragon Worlds, under the Sorceress's orders, and takes them to the Forgotten Realms. Spyro goes on an adventure to recover the Dragon Eggs. During Spyro's adventure, it is revealed that the Sorceress plans to kill the baby dragons for their wings, which are an essential ingredient to her immortality potion. When Bianca learns about this, she turns against the Sorceress.
Whenever Spyro recovers a Dragon Egg, a baby dragon hatches from it. Like the dragons from the first game, each of the baby dragons have their own name. Upon hatching, the baby dragon usually dances or does some other pose before disappearing back to the Dragon Realms.
Spyro 2: Season of Flame
In Spyro 2: Season of Flame, the Rhynocs steal the fireflies from the Dragon Worlds, causing Spyro and the other dragons to lose their flame breath, which turns to ice. Spyro goes on an adventure to retrieve all of the fireflies.
- This article is a stub. You can help the Spyro Wiki by .